Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Blast! I Missed Class...Again!

I finally found something to base my epithet on (seeing as we've had trouble naming me) and it's visual, story-based, and slightly grotesque!

When I was around eleven years old I was at a scout camp where the meeting areas and cafeteria were at the bottom of the hill and the campsites were higher up. After an activity I was walking back to camp by myself and ducked under a log fence. Well, I came up to soon, and it hurt briefly but the pain went away. However, I started gushing blood from my head. So I return to the bottom of the camp, drenched in blood, casually asking if anyone had seen my father so that we could go to the hospital. I ended up getting stitches, resulting in a thin line of a scar on my scalp.

A couple summers ago I was working at a Blockbuster Video. I guess I hadn't had enough to drink that day because that night, just a few minutes before close, I was carrying a huge stack of dvds across the room, I felt woozy, and I woke up on the floor. I can't tell you whether I blacked out, causing the fall, or simply felt woozy, fell, and lost my memory of it because of hitting my head on a shelf. I found myself on the ground in a pile of dvd cases, once more bleeding from the head. Yet again I go to the hospital, yet again I get stitches. The kicker, however, is that the new wound actually hit the years-old one. I now have a checkmark on my head, though it's sort of curved and wonky looking. You can't really tell unless my hair is super short, but it's there.

So basically, now that you all have heard the story of the unlucky part of my head, this can be the memory associated with my epithet. For the more violent minded: "Blood-soaked Parker" or "Parker of the Bleeding Scalp" could work, but for simplicity's sake, and for consonance I think, "Checkmark Parker" should suffice. What do you think? Will "Checkmark Parker" give you an image of me in a mess of dvds soaked in blood, or do I need to put "bleeding" in my name somewhere?

My memory demonstration is of the Best Picture winners of the Academy Awards. There are actually 82 of them, so I memorized them all, I'll just recite the first fifty or the last fifty or something in class if we're short on time. Though I won't include them when reciting, I have also implemented visuals to remember the years by. So here they are in chronological order:

1-Wings
2-The Broadway Melody
3-All Quiet on the Western Front
4-Cimarron
5-Grand Hotel
6-Cavalcade
7-It Happened One Night
8-Mutiny on the Bounty
9-The Great Zeigfeld
10-The Life of Emile Zola
11-You Can't Take It with You
12-Gone With the Wind
13-Rebecca
14-How Green Was My Valley
15-Mrs. Miniver
16-Casablanca
17-Going My Way
18-The Lost Weekend
19-The Best Years of Our Lives
20-Gentleman's Agreement
21-Hamlet
22-All the King's Men
23-All About Eve
24-An American in Paris
25-The Greatest Show on Earth
26-From Here to Eternity
27-On the Waterfront
28-Marty
29-Around the World in Eighty Days
30-The Bridge on the River Kwai
31-Gigi
32-Ben-Hur
33-The Apartment
34-West Side Story
35-Lawrence of Arabia
36-Tom Jones
37-My Fair Lady
38-The Sound of Music
39-A Man for All Seasons
40-In the Heat of the Night
41-Oliver!
42-Midnight Cowboy
43-Patton
44-The French Connection
45-The Godfather
46-The Sting
47-The Godfather Part II
48-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
49-Rocky
50-Annie Hall
51-The Deer Hunter
52-Kramer vs. Kramer
53-Ordinary People
54-Chariots of Fire
55-Gandhi
56-Terms of Endearment
57-Amadeus
58-Out of Africa
59-Platoon
60-The Last Emperor
61-Rain Man
62-Driving Miss Daisy
63-Dances with Wolves
64-The Silence of the Lambs
65-Unforgiven
66-Schindler's List
67-Forrest Gump
68-Braveheart
69-The English Patient
70-Titanic
71-Shakespeare in Love
72-American Beauty
73-Gladiator
74-A Beautiful Mind
75-Chicago
76-The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
77-Million Dollar Baby
78-Crash
79-The Departed
80-No Country for Old Men
81-Slumdog Millionaire

I'm still not entirely certain about the presentation assignment. Is it to be something specifically discussed in the books or simply a topic that fits with our class focus? I have a few topics that interest me, but honestly, nothing that has me bursting with excitement.

1 comment:

  1. Checkmark Parker it is then! Good blog entry, as usual. Great story, which makes having it as the basis for your epithet all the more apporiate.

    ReplyDelete